Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Munching on Toronto - On the Hunt for my Favourite Soupe A L'Oignon Gratinee

I've always loved French Onion Soup ever since I was a child. I think it was mainly because of my love for cheese and in this case, melted cheese. I mean, what other soup out there has melted blobs of cheese in it?

So, I've made it a mission of mine, to try as many french onion soups I can where ever I go when eating out. So far, from what I can recall, I have tried it at five different places:

1. Jack Astor's (like 4 years ago? They don't have it anymore)
No picture here but if I'm not going crazy about saying how great it is right now, it probably wasn't and I would have remembered.

2. Jake's on Main Street Unionville
It didn't cross my mind to take a picture then, but it wouldn't have turned out nice anyways as I remember I ordered the French Onion Soup with a beer...at night. Also can't say much about this one.

3. Turtle Jacks in Richmond Hill
I can't really remember if this was good or not. I know that if it was delicious, then I would remember it like Fynn's or if it was bad I would remember it like Boston Pizza's but I can't so I'm going say that the French Onion Soup at Turtle Jack's was mediocre, not good, not bad.





4. Fynn's of Temple Bar on King Street, Toronto
Fynn's Temple Bar is a pub on King Street west of Spadina. I never expected them to have French Onion Soup on their menu, but when I saw it, I knew I had to get it. I also ordered a salad as well, and it was really good I must say (will post in another blog). I found that there was enough cheese and onions and the soup base was not too salty. The only downfall about it was that it had a bit too much bread. Other than that, I enjoyed it.


5. Boston Pizza in Richmond Hill
This French Onion Soup was lacking a few things in my opinion. There was not enough cheese and onion and the soup base was rather bland. It didn't look  as appetizing as the other French Onion Soups I have tried so far. I doubt I will get this again when I go back. Other items on their menu are actually not bad, but this one, unfortunately, doesn't make that list.


I am by no means an expert at making French Onion Soup, or knowing which one is the best. I just want to find my favourite place, and after 5 places, I must say I am not able to settle on one yet. So my hunt continues.
Do you have a place in mind that you know has amazing French Onion Soup? If so, let me know! I'll definitely go try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment